Moving Meetings Online Training
I have been deep into online training for Toastmasters in the last four weeks, since I last wrote in my Diary of an Online Toastmaster. The month has just flown by in a whirlwind of Zoom meetings; as all clubs now practice physical distancing by meeting online.
A training project called ‘Moving Meetings Online’ was prepared collaboratively with the D73 Team Pathways to help clubs to run their meetings online and learn how to master Zoom. The program consisted of three workshops run over consecutive weekends in April with the following titles:
- 101:Be a confident first time Zoom User
- 102:Build skills as a confident Zoom Host
- 103:Demonstrate being an effective Zoom Master
The training model for this program was a traditional delivery of Educationals (15 minutes) with a facilitated Q&A segment (5 minutes) immediately after. Session timings were capped at 1 hour and 15 minutes and recordings made of each one. Each Educational provided an overview of how to use the Zoom functions and Tools effectively. This model enabled several D73 Toastmasters to step up into roles such as Zoom Host, Zoom Master, Toastmaster of the Day and Timekeeper.
- Provide practical resources for participants prior to, during or after training sessions and remind attendees to complete a Feedback Survey. eg Agenda templates
- Need to schedule team meetings prior to each training session to ensure that each person knows what their role is and how to contact each other during the online sessions. eg private chat in Zoom or message on smart phones.
- Ensure that the session roles are given to separate individuals, and enable them to focus on their tasks in that role. eg Avoid being the Zoom Master and TMoD concurrently!
- Plan the promotional aspects of such training events with all district members in mind. We need consistency of promotions, registrations and notifications to enable awareness of training opportunities for members across two time zones. eg Ensure that the program for the month is displayed in the District Newsletter.
Follow up plan:
- Further Zoom sessions could dig deeper into the practicalities of Moving Meetings Online and enable more participants to have hands on experience with Zoom Mastery. eg Reschedule 101, 102 and 103 and simplify content.
- New sessions could focus on the Basics of being a Toastmaster for those who are brand new to Toastmasters. eg Introduction to Pathways education, participation in club meetings, overview of club officer roles, and introduction to speech delivery.
Light Bulb Moment!
Toastmasters need time to become comfortable in the online environment! Provide any time training resources and readings for them to focus on prior to, during and after the real time training sessions.
Toastmasters can also be encouraged to visit other online club meetings prior to training.
- Further Reading: Moving Meetings Online eCourse
- Resource: Online Toastmaster Meeting Roles
- Resource: Online Toastmasters Meetings Agendas
- Club Hopping Opportunities for easy-Speak users:
Take the Toastie Tour with Online Meetings
4 replies on “Diary of an Online Toastmaster: Revisited”
You are awesome! thanks for all that do x
Thank you for your accolades; I enjoy what I do. Happy to know that it makes a difference for someone.
You were a great help to our executive with your informative private seminar. We indeed are now having effective Zoom meetings. Thanks a million Carole.
Thanks Carole as always- insightful and informative.