When you plan for a trip away, these are the usual steps you take:
- know your destination
- collect your tickets
- pack essentials
- add to your Trip Plan
- check everything
Can you successfully plan ahead for your Projects?
When you get deeper into Pathways you will need to plan ahead! There are usually 10-11 required projects and 3 electives to complete – a total of 14 to 15 speeches.
Know your Destination:
Depending on your goal, you may be considering the delivery of at least 2 speeches per month per club. Your projects are mapped out for you in your Transcript (click on the Path title to see them all) and you will need to know which ones are required and which ones are electives.
Collect your Tickets:
At levels 3, 4 and 5 your choice of electives provide a wide array of tasks and goals to improve your skills in speaking and leading. Keep in mind that the speeches are the culmination of your learning in each elective project, and that there may be more than one speech required. Choose those electives that best support and complement your goals.
Include in your folders the downloadable project resources for each level. eg Launch your project, go to the Evaluations page and collect the resources from that page. You’ll need a copy of the project itself; the evaluation resources and any other
Add to your Trip Plan:
Consult your diary or calendar and map out the dates you have available for:
- a) planning your project
- b) preparing your speech
- c) delivering your speech.
Collaborate with your VP Education and request your speeches at each club in a timely way. Allow sufficient time to repeat the speech if you wish to work on incorporating the feedback soon after.
Note: if you are in multiple clubs, plan to be courteous and offer a level completion for their Distinguished Club Program (DCP) points in return for opportunities to deliver a speech.
Is that all?
Nope! The final thing to do is ‘check everything’!
- Have you informed your VP Education when you want to deliver a speech?
- (check speech schedules in your club management system)
- Have you collected all downloadable files from your project?
- (check Transcript in Base Camp and match with files in folders)
- Have you incorporated all new learning into your project speech(s)?
- (review Online Classes in Base Camp and prepare a speech outline)
- Have you outlined your speech to match the purpose statement on the Evaluation Resource?
- (check Evaluation Resources from Evaluations in Base Camp and let your Evaluator know what you’d like feedback on)
- Finally, set aside some time after your speech delivery to return to your Transcript and complete the Assess Skills After in the Project.
Note: The Assess Your Skills After triggers the next project to become available.
Note: At the end of a level, once again, return to Transcript and complete the steps for Level Completion.
Consult these shared resources to help you in planning ahead and being prepared:
1. Paths, Levels and Electives Spreadsheet
- Spreadsheet outlining all required projects and electives
- a previous blog post of mine
Three short video tutorials from Coach Carole