Midweek Genealogy Fun…Genealogy Resources…Courses and more!
First of all a big shout out to Teresa for the prompts used in her recent blog post-WritingMyPast.Wordpress.com.
Here are a few of my favourite genealogy things! (sounds like the opening for a song, doesn’t it?) When the dog bites. When the bee stings. When I’m feeling sad. I simply remember my favourite things, and then I don’t feel so bad! *were you humming along?
What genealogy resources are you currently using? Books, periodicals, manuscripts, ephemera, websites, software, in 2023?
My favourite websites and social media for my research this year are:
Scotlands People, FindMyPast FamilyHistory UK and the Genealogy Addicts UK and Worldwide Research Group.
My favourite magazine is Family Tree Magazine UK.
My favourite books to have beside me include Family History Record Book, and the Family History Handbook 2023, available when you subscribe to the magazine. Plus I have my notebooks handy for jotting down information that needs to go to my online research records. I use Evernote for those. Evernote and Trello keep me organised for the year. I put in my plans for research in Trello Boards, and I add information transcripts and images to Evernote.
Of course, if I just need further advice on specific tools and processes for my genealogy work, I am a frequent visitor to YouTube. Favourites of mine are similar to those listed by Teresa:
Genealogy TV, Family History Fanatics, Genealogy with Amy Johnson Crow, Genealogy Gems
Plus I am now subscribed to these two new channels: Setting the Record Straight with Dave Annal, and Discover your Scottish Ancestors with Chris Paton.
Preserving Family History Academy 2023!
Two New FREE Courses
The 5-day Challenge: S.M.A.R.T. Genealogy Planner is now ready for you to try out in February. It’s available at any time for FREE, however, the official launch is February 14-19. Look for notices about the free Live Call about the challenge on Feb 14 on Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter, and Instagram.
If you read my last post called Piecing Together Your Past, you will have noticed that I am in creative mode again this month, creating a new course for genealogists at the start of their research journey. In the course called How to Build your Family Tree, I will show you how to do this using each of the big four; Ancestry, FindMyPast, MyHeritage, and FamilySearch. This course is available to Pre-Enrol now and will officially launch on March 1st.
Membership in the Academy
When I first got started in family history research I wish I had known how to move along the path, of the Essential Genealogist Journey. My research was spasmodic, often unplanned, and organic. My stories were sparse and had little interest to hold the attention of readers outside of my family. My family tree was unpruned and unkempt with branches and leaves that did not belong; a victim of the ‘hints’ in ancestry. Now that I am deep into the forest of forensic genealogy, and I look back at my journey along the path, I note that it skipped in and out among the trees, often getting distracted and falling down rabbit holes. Now I am much more skilled and confident with my research and I wanted to share my recommended Essential Genealogist Journey with you.
Therefore, just this month, I have launched the Essential Genealogist Journey Membership which gives you access to ALL my courses, ebooks, workbooks, live cast tips, and a suite of Essential Genealogist Masterclasses held in Zoom. You can move through the courses in a sequential and S.M.A.R.T. manner to ensure that you build your family history detective skills one by one. This is a NEW model for learning about genealogy and one that may just inspire you.
Your Membership Subscription is set at just $15 per month and you get access to over $2000 worth of courses and services forever. This price will probably increase as I add even more courses to the Academy this year. (3 more in the pipeline for 2023). If you subscribe now though, your subscription will remain at the $15 price, even when the price goes up.
Membership provides you with the following:
- 5-day challenge: S.M.A.R.T. Genealogy Planner – the Essential Genealogist Quick Start Course – a fast-paced course designed to get you up to speed on the basics of genealogy research.
- How to Build your Family Tree – the Essential Genealogist Family Tree building Course – a step-by-step program that will guide you through the research process and help you develop the skills and knowledge you need to become a successful family historian.
- How to Organise your Genealogy Research – the Essential Genealogist Organizing and Documenting Course – a practical course that will help you develop a system for organizing and preserving your research.
- Coaching in Ancestral Storytelling – the Essential Genealogist Storytelling Course – a guided course that will help you plan, plot, write and share your family history stories.
- Unlock Ancestral Storytelling – the Essential Genealogist Publishing Course – a guided course that will help you plan, plot, write, share, and publish your family stories.
- Creative Digital Storytelling – the Essential Genealogist Visual Story Course – a guided course that will help you create moving and engaging stories with video.
- Publish your Family History Book – the Essential Genealogist Printed Book Course – a guided course that will help you create Family History books as eBooks using Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing.
- Monthly Q&A Webinars – join our monthly webinars and get your questions answered by experienced genealogists.
- Private Facebook Group – connect with other members of the Essential Genealogist Journey community and collaborate on your research.
- eBooks: Storifying your Ancestors, the Devon Kin Keeper, and The Essential Family Tree Detective.
- Live Casts and Podcasts: you have access to all my Live Cast tips for Essential Genealogists in one place. Plus you have access to all my interviews with family historians all in one place.
Coach Carole: Edupreneur
I have just posted a Zoom recording on my YouTube channel called Coach Carole’s Journey to Edupreneur. In this presentation, I take you on my journey along the Edupreneur pathway in building my Preserving Family History Academy.
My thanks to Sarah Cordiner at the Sarah Cordiner Academy for her superb mentoring and coaching courses – these were a game changer for me as I built my Academy.
I recommend Sarah Cordiner to you if you are on the pathway to becoming an Edupreneur and need some help.